Mrs. McSwain's History Classes Stanly County Schools South Stanly High School
** Menu **Home
AP US History Class Page
US History Class Page
AP US History Class of 2009
Welcome Parents !
Thank you for sharing your children, it is an honor to be their teacher. Please find below what I hope will be some useful resources about our particular course, school, and district. There are also a range of good parenting websites and also some local history suggestions. As you well know by this point in your parenting experience, the more time, attention, and interest you take in your son or daughter's academic and extracurricular activities, the more successful your child is likely to be. Again, I salute you for the job you do as parents and please do not ever hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns.
Contact Me: Carla McSwain
COURSE / SCHOOL / DISTRICT RESOURCES:
1. North Carolina Department of Instruction US History Goals and Objectives This provides a description of the curriculum and standard course of study as required by the state in the subject of US History recommended for the eleventh grade year.
2. National Center for History in the Schools - This site describes national standards for US History, it might prove interesting to compare our state standards with these.
3. South Stanly High School - This site will assist in all things "REBEL BULLS" related.
4. Stanly County Schools - This can guide you with any district policy concerns and questions.
5. McSwain History Classes Blog - If you want to participate in collaborative online discussions or want the most updated look at what your son or daughter is doing in class, please visit and participate in our blog.
PARENTING RESOURCES1. National Parent Teacher Association This is the online home of PTA.
2. Family Education This site offers parenting advice and information for a multitude of topics with emphasis on strong families.
3. KIDSNET This location will aid in using television, radio, and other multimedia resources in a positive and educational manner for young people.
4. Department of Education - This government sponsored site provides information, services, and free publications that will benefit your child's education.
5. Parent Academic Resources Inc. - This is a very interesting article suggesting strategies you can use to really connect with your adolescent.
LOCAL HISTORY ROUND-UP (HAVE SOME FUN WITH HISTORY IN OUR BACKYARD)1. Reed Gold Mine The first gold discovered in the United States was right down the road.
2. James K. Polk's Birthplace One of the presidents was from Pineville ? Yes, that is correct, located in Mecklenburg County.
3. Town Creek Indian Mound Archaeological remains of 11th century Native Americans are just a few miles southeast of us.
4. Stanly County Museum Explore our county's rich history here
5. Old Salem If you can travel just a little further, you can step into another time and place and experience colonial history at its finest.